Approximately a fifth of the population does not have an ideal bite, meaning they may need to have some dental work done. Dental braces are as effective as they are demanding. They have a more prolonged treatment span, as you may have to wear them for approximately two years. The thought of a metal track running across the teeth can be a huge put off for many. Luckily, there are several options available that act as alternatives to braces treatment.
Advances in technology within the orthodontic world led to the development of more discrete solutions that are just as effective. Most patients are self-conscious while wearing traditional metal braces, which takes away from the joy of smiling. Here is a more in-depth look into each alternative to braces treatment.
- Dental Invisalign: Invisalign treatment utilizes clear, plastic aligners to gradually straighten the teeth. You wear the aligners for 20-22 hours a day, with the aligners being changed every two weeks. The treatment is custom-made to fit your exact dental needs.
- Lingual Braces: These ‘invisible braces’ use brackets and metal wires placed at the back of the teeth. Putting them on the backside makes them virtually undetectable. The brackets are designed to fit, effectively restoring your smile.
- Ceramic Braces: These orthodontic treatments are inherently similar to traditional metal braces. The difference comes in the ceramic brackets and metal wires. They are usually the same color as your teeth. This makes them a less noticeable alternative to braces.
- Retainers: Typically, orthodontists use retainers to maintain the position of teeth immediately after brace removal. However, you can wear retainers to correct minor dental issues, such as closing slight gaps between your teeth.
1. A Subtle Treatment Option
Invisalign utilizes clear aligners that push the teeth to the desired position. The aligners are barely visible to the naked eye when you smile. You don’t have to wear traditional metal braces that have metallic wires running across your teeth, which may make you feel less confident about your appearance.
The clear aligners use smooth plastic that has no sharp edges.Treatment using traditional, metal braces can cause discomfort with the metal brackets scratching and bruising your soft cheek tissues. Besides, metal braces require strict adherence to oral hygiene practice throughout the treatment period. With clear aligners like Invisalign, you can remove the aligners, brush and floss your teeth then put the aligners back in.
3. Suitable for All Age Brackets
Invisalign clear aligners are effective for all age groups. The American Association of Orthodontists estimates there are over 4.5 million Americans currently in orthodontic treatment. Of these, 25% are adults. The aligners are custom-made to suit your realignment needs. The orthodontist takes teeth impressions used to generate the plastic aligners.
4. No Food Restrictions
One of the most attractive features of the Invisalign clear aligners is the ability to remove them while you eat. You don’t have to miss out on your favorite meals. Traditional metal braces restrict you to soft foods as hard, and sticky foods will damage the brackets. You can remove your clear aligners, enjoy your meal, and put the aligners back in once you finish eating.
Get Clear Aligners Today
Metal braces are no longer the only orthodontic treatment available to straighten teeth. Visit one of our Evenly Care Centers in the Washington D.C. area for a free consultation and discuss the best options for an alternative to braces with our world renowned clear aligner orthodontist.